Individuals and organisations that have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to strengthening Australia’s biosecurity system have been recognised in the 2020 Australian Biosecurity Awards ceremony.
Minister for Agriculture, Drought and Emergency Management, David Littleproud said the annual awards were an important recognition of those making vital contributions to protecting our enviable biosecurity status.
“Biosecurity is a shared responsibility. Government, industry and the community all have an essential role to play in safeguarding Australia from biosecurity risks,” Minister Littleproud said.
“Australia’s biosecurity system supports our way of life, our nearly $60 billion in agricultural production and $49 billion in agricultural export. All vital contributors to jobs and growth, particularly in regional and rural Australia.
“Biosecurity is a critical part of the government’s efforts to prevent, respond to and recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The Australian Government is committed to a strong biosecurity system and it is important to recognise those who provide vital contributions to our enviable pest and disease status.
“I am pleased to announce the winners of four new award categories: Community, Education, Environmental Biosecurity, and the Dr Kim Ritman Award for Science & Innovation.
“I also congratulate those who have received a new Biosecurity Commendation Certificate, which recognises local or regional contributions to biosecurity, and the winners of two new Farm Biosecurity Producer of the Year awards.
“Through the Australian Biosecurity Awards, we are shining a light on our biosecurity champions to recognise the businesses and individuals who support and promote Australia’s biosecurity.
“Congratulations to all of this year’s winners. It is great to see individuals and businesses working alongside government to strengthen our biosecurity and support the future of Australian agriculture.”
For more information about the Australian Biosecurity Awards and biographies of all the 2020 winners, click this link (here).
Farm Biosecurity Producer of the Year was Brendan Finnigan – Kia Ora Merino (Vic), KW Orchards (NSW).
- Biosecurity Queensland’s Panama TR4 Program (Qld)
- Mr Brett Burdett (ACT)
- Wellesley Islands Rangers (Qld)
- Hagley Farm School Visitor Centre and Department of Education – Revitalising School Farms Initiative (Tas)
Environmental Biosecurity Award
- Dr Geoff Pegg – Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (Qld)
- Dr David Abdo – DHI Water and Environment Pty Ltd (Australia) and Dr Justin McDonald – Aquatic Pest Biosecurity, Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (WA)
Dr Kim Ritman Award for Science and Innovation
- Prof. Brendan Rodoni – Agriculture Victoria & La Trobe University (Vic)
Biosecurity Commendation Certificate
- Mr Merv Buffett & Ms Clare McPherson (Norfolk Island)
- Ms Kate Elliot (Farrer Primary School) & Mrs Kathryn Glanville (Namadgi Primary School) (ACT)
- Dr Ed Morton – Rapiscan Systems Ltd (NSW)