Investing in a future-ready agriculture, fisheries and forestry sector is the goal of the 2022 Science and Innovation Awards grant program, with applications now open and $264,000 up for grabs.
An invitation is open for young researchers, scientists and innovators in agriculture, fisheries and forestry to submit a project application that addresses current industry challenges.
Australia has a proud tradition of innovation, and we’re looking to build on that legacy with the next generation of Aussie smarts.
Organiser’s are looking for projects that tackle issues in innovative ways and contribute to the ongoing success and sustainability of Australia’s agricultural, fisheries and forestry industries.
It’s about supporting young people who are passionate about agriculture and helping them to make a difference. Our young people are at the forefront of transforming agriculture as it grows to a $100 billion industry.
Their innovations and new ideas will help individual farmers as well as whole industries and communities. They will drive change as ideas and protypes become reality.
Last year’s Ministerial award winner was Fraser Border from the University of Southern Queensland. His project used augmented reality to help meat process workers improve accuracy and efficiency, reduce waste and increase returns for processors.
For more information and to apply click here.
What you need to know to apply
· Applications close at 5pm AEST Friday 1 October 2021.
· Since they were launched in 2001, the Science and Innovation Awards have helped 272 young researchers, innovators and scientists turn their ideas into reality with over $4.4 million in grant funding.
· 12 industry award categories are available in the 2022 round, with each winner to receive a grant of up to $22,000 (including GST).
· The Science and Innovation Awards for Young People in Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry is an open competitive annual grant program supporting young people aged between 18 and 35 years who are working, employed or studying in an agriculture, fisheries or forestry related industry (including food and sustainable natural resource management).
· Award partners and categories include:
|Established, new and emerging rural industries||AgriFutures Australia|
|Eggs and poultry (layers)||Australian Eggs|
|Red meat processing||Australian Meat Processor Corporation|
|Pork||Australian Pork Limited|
|Wool||Australian Wool Innovation|
|Cotton||Cotton Research and Development Corporation|
|Biosecurity and digital innovation||CSIRO Biosecurity digital innovation|
|Fisheries and aquaculture||Fisheries Research and Development Corporation|
|Forest and wood products||Forest & Wood Products Australia|
|Grains||Grains Research and Development Corporation|
|Viticulture and oenology||Wine Australia|